Monday, July 11, 2011

"Aloha Is Dead"

Early in June I took flight and found myself in Kauai for 10 days.
Not a shabby way to kick off summer!



Hali, Ethan, Cubby and myself all made our ways to Hawaii
to stay with Hali's family on the impossibly beautiful island of Kauai.
Hali's younger sister Tessa was graduating from high school, so all of their family from Britain came to stay also...
That meant 12 people staying in a 3 (temporarily converted to 4) bedroom house.
It was the best form of chaos you could ever imagine.



We spent our time there adventuring through rocks and mud and forests to beautiful beaches with white sand and crystal clear turquoise water.
It could not have been any more perfect.

And we learned how to paddle board!



We also learned a game of epic proportions.
We call it "Chee Shwa"
It's a Chinese drinking game taught to us by Hali's uncle's girlfriend.
The name comes from the song you sing while playing...
"Chee sha chee sha shwa"
This provided endless nights of entertainment for everyone in the house.
And probably the neighbors too.

Proof:

Now let's talk about the eats.
I think everyone there was a closet chef.
We were all assigned a night to make dinner,
and every night was epic.
The food was gourmet.
'Nuff said.


There were 7 more nights worth of awesome food,
but unfortunately I was too busy feasting to take pictures.
So you'll just have to trust me on this one.

I feel like I should give a short explanation as to the title of this post.
"Aloha is dead" came from a charming young man at the dump.
Cubby greeted this nice fellow with a friendly "Aloha"
and received the reply of "Aloha is dead" from said nice fellow.
Needless to say, it became the theme of the trip.

I was surrounded by such beauty, 
not only in the island itself, but in the people I shared this trip with.
I am so blessed to be able to call these people my second family.



1 comment:

  1. I love it, Lauren!

    Did that really happen to Cubby? Because on my first trip to Hawai'i after my 'rents bought the house, the guy at the city dump told me aloha was dead while we were taking loads of construction materials there to drop off.

    I don't remember you guys mentioning that happening to Cubby as well.

    In any event, aloha was alive and well in the Mason house on Kamehameha St. last June!

    ReplyDelete